- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 link fresh chorizo (3 to 4 ounces), casing removed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups corn tortilla chips
- 2 ounces Cheddar, cut into 30 cubes just under 1/2 inch thick
- Shredded iceberg lettuce, guacamole, pico de gallo and sour cream, for serving
Preheat the oven to 200&DEG;c. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
Mix together the ground beef, chorizo, egg, cornmeal, tomato paste, chilli powder, cumin, oregano, granulated onion, 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper with your hands in a large bowl. Scoop the mixture into tablespoon-sized portions. For each, press 1 cube of cheese into the center, press the meat around it to seal, and roll into a smooth ball.
Put the chips in a plastic bag, seal and crush with a rolling pin. Drop 3 or 4 meatballs at a time into the bag, and roll them around to lightly coat with the crushed chips. Arrange the coated meatballs on the prepared baking sheet, and bake until the outsides are browned and the cheese is melted inside, 10 to 12 minutes.
Serve the meatballs on a platter over a bed of shredded lettuce with guacamole, pico de gallo and sour cream on the side.
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchen