- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch ground cardamom
- 1 recipe Vanilla Cake
- 1 recipe Coconut Cream Frosting
- 1 cup assorted fresh fruit (such as raspberries, halved strawberries, coarsely chopped mango, coarsely chopped pineapple, and/or sliced kiwifruit)
- 2 tablespoons large flaked unsweetened coconut, lightly toasted
- In a bowl stir together honey, ginger, and cardamom.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a cake platter. Spread with half of the Coconut Cream Frosting. Repeat layers. Toss fruit with honey mixture and arrange on cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Serve immediately.
- Per Serving with Sugar Substitute: Same as above, except 166 cal., 22 g carb. (11 g sugars).
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 of a vanilla bean
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar*
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a small saucepan combine milk and butter. Using a small sharp knife, split the vanilla bean lengthwise in half. Scrape the seeds from the halves into the milk mixture. Add the vanilla bean halves to the saucepan. Heat over medium heat until butter is melted and milk is steaming, stirring occasionally (do not boil). Remove from the heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour two 8-inch round cake pans. In a large bowl beat eggs with a mixer on high about 4 minutes or until thickened and light yellow in color. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed 4 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat on low to medium just until combined.
- Remove the vanilla bean halves from the milk mixture; discard. Add milk mixture to batter along with vanilla, beating until combined. Divide batter between prepared pans, spreading evenly. Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans for 10 minutes. Remove layers from pans; cool on wire racks.
Coconut Cream Frosting
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened refrigerated coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 1 cup frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed
- In a bowl beat cream cheese with a mixer on medium until smooth. Gradually beat in milk until smooth. If desired, beat in coconut extract. Fold in dessert topping.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 16
PER SERVING: 189 cal., 6 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 48 mg chol., 148 mg sodium, 30 g carb. (1 g fiber, 19 g sugars), 4 g pro.
Fat (d.e): 1; Starch (d.e): 1; Other Carb (d.e): 1