Lime Dressing / Marinade:
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil (65ml)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp salt + black pepper
- 2 small chicken breasts, 400g/14oz (pound or split if thicker than 2cm / 4/5”)
- 1/2 tsp EACH chipotle powder (Note 1) and oregano
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado, chunky dice (watch video to see how I do this)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup corn kernels (canned, drained)
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander / cilantro, finely chopped
- 5 heaped cups cos lettuce, cut into bite size pieces
Place Lime Dressing ingredients in a jar, shake well.
Put 2 tablespoons of Dressing in a ziplock bag. Add chipotle, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper, mix/squidge bag. Add chicken, seal and massage to coat. Marinate 30 min – overnight.
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in skillet over medium low, cook chicken to taste (2cm / 4/5” takes around 8 minutes), getting a nice brown crust on it. Rest 5 min then slice.
Add 2 tablespoons of coriander into Dressing, shake.
Place avocado, corn, tomato and onion in a bowl. Add remaining coriander, drizzle with a bit of Dressing, toss gently.
Place lettuce in a bowl, drizzle with a bit of Dressing, toss.
Assemble Salad: Place lettuce on a serving platter. Top with Salsa and sliced chicken. Drizzle with remaining Dressing. Serve.
1. Chipotle Powder is irritatingly difficult to find here in Australia!! It is a brilliant seasoning – it’s like smoked paprika on steroids. More complex, more flavour, VERY Mexican (it’s actually ground dried smoked jalapeños). I get mine from Firework Foods (online Mexican store), at some fruit & veg stores like Thomas Dux, sometimes from Harris Farms, stores that carry Herbies spices, and ethnic stores. SUBSTITUTION: Australia and non US- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, pinch each of chilli powder, coriander, cumin. US – 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp chili powder (i.e. what the US knows as chili powder which is not just pure ground chili).
2. Nutrition per serving, assuming 3 servings.